Nurseries and Children's Rooms: Reminiscings, Ruminations and Redesigning

When it comes to designing and decorating a nursery or children's room, I've always struggled with the juvenile themes and garish colors that often are used.
Last week, my friend Teresa and I stumbled into Restoration Hardware's baby and child store.
We were both amazed at the very original, quite unpractical, yet totally gorgeous nurseries and rooms displayed.

Ethereal canopies and crystal chandeliers everywhere!
It was a feast for the eyes!
This store could make you want to have a baby!

Apart from the cribs, much of the merchandise could be used in any room in the house, like these crystal sconces and patinated mirror.  Even the fashion drawings would look great anywhere else in the house.


We were especially taken with the little girl's room with matching twin canopy beds hung with chandeliers.
Then, we noticed the framed dress on the wall.

A closer look revealed that it was made from a map of Paris!
Ok, now that's just amazing!

Expensive, but it would be a forever treasure.

We both found ourselves reminiscing about the nurseries and rooms we designed for our own kids back in the day.

My first nursery, in 1976 was painted bright yellow with a white crib.  Eight years later, a boy's nursery with a dark wood crib and red, white and blue bedding.  By the time the third child was born, she slept in a port-a-crib in the hallway!
It wasn't until the fourth child that I got to really decorate a nursery.  When we moved in to that house, the room was already decorated in aqua and yellow polka dot wallpaper.  I embraced it!
However, it was just too cutsey for me.

Like I said, I struggle with themed kid's rooms...

...and garish colors.

I actually have a Pinterest board titled, "Sleep Tight Little Ones."
There aren't a lot of pins on this board because I'm always looking for tastefully decorated rooms that can take a child from toddler to teenager.

Here are a few of my favorite pins as an example.
This boy's room from Pottery Barn Kids is a little juvenile, but I'm guessing it would be perfect for a 6 year old.  Take away the mural when he is 16 and it transitions easily.

 The neutral wallpaper and rug will take this little boy well into his high school years!

Another RH room.
What can I say?
It's fun, without being cutsey.
The colors are neutral and classic.

One of my favorites.  
A boy's room designed by Kristen Buckingham, as seen in Elle Decor.
Change out the duvet covers and you have a nice guest room when he goes away to college!

But I digress...
Leave it to Restoration Hardware to design a girl's room with an upholstered velvet daybed!  In gray!
I love the corona, the sconces and the canopy!
This would be a beautiful room for a teenage girl, transitioning to guest room when she goes away to college.
Just change the bedding.

We were amazed by the upholstered bunk beds!
I thought they would be fantastic in a bunk room.
I could imagine two sets of them--you know, when you have lots of grandkids spend the night!

Which brings me to my latest project.
Redesigning the bedrooms upstairs that belonged to "the kids."
That means boxing up baseball cards, fossils, souvenirs, Beany Babies, posters and books.

One of the rooms will have twin beds for when the granddaughters spend the night.
I'm trying to make it age and gender neutral, yet give them a room they can call their own at grandma's house.
I'll keep you posted...

Meanwhile, if you ever find yourself in Corte Madera, check out RH baby & child for inspiration.
RH has wonderfully innovative furniture and designs for kids.
You can check it out on their website here.

For more children's rooms, visit my Pinterest board, "Sleep Tight Little Ones" here.

No comments:

Post a Comment